MAT67 Modern Linear Algebra - Fall 2011
News and announcements
- (12/11/11) Have a great winter break!
- (12/11/11) Final grades have been uploaded to the system and should
be visible soon on SmartSite/SIS. Here is an explanation of how the grades
were computed: a total score (in the range 0-100) was
computed as a weighted average of the midterms, final, and
homework assignments, as described in the syllabus (this total
score can be seen on the course SmartSite grades, under "Final numerical score"). The letter grades were then
computed from the total score according to the following cutoff
|       A+ || top 2 students |
|       A         || 80-100 |
|       A- || 70-79.999 |
|       B+ || 67-69.999 |
|       B || 63-66.999 |
|       B- || 60-62.999 |
|       C+ || 58-59.999 |
|       C || 55-57.999 |
|       C- || 50-54.999 |
|       D || 48-49.999 |
|       D- || 45-47.999 |
|       F || 0-44.999 |
The mean total score (among students who took the final exam) was 62.8, and the highest total score was 92.13. The
following table shows the distribution of the letter grades, computed from among students who took the final exam:
|     A range (A+, A, A-) ||
|| 30 students (42.2%) |
|     B range (B+, B, B-) || || 17 students (23.9%) |
|     C range (C+, C, C-) || || 11 students (15.4%) |
|     D range (D+, D, D-) || || 5 students (7%) |
|     F || || 13 students (18.3%) |
- (12/6/11) Click here for solutions to the practice exam (note: it is highly recommended to try solving the exam yourself before looking at the solutions.)
- (12/4/11) Yvonne Kemper will hold a review session on Wednesday, December 7 at 6-8pm in Young 184. You are encouraged to attend and prepare any questions you would like answered.
- (12/2/11) Click here for a practice exam with some notes to help you study for the final exam. Solutions will be posted next week.
- (10/28/11) The grades for the midterm exam have been posted on SmartSite. The average grade was 51, the median grade was 52, and the standard deviation of the grades was 19. Here is a chart showing the distribution of the grades:
- (10/25/11) Click here
for solutions to the midterm exam.
- (10/21/11) Yvonne Kemper will hold a review session for the midterm
exam today at 4-5:30 in 119 Wellman Hall.
The Student Disability Center asks that students interested in serving as
paid notetakers for this course please contact
Notetakers are paid a stipend of $25 per unit. Students are asked to put
notetaker, the course title and number, and instructor’s name in the subject
lines of their emails.
- (9/30/11) On the "Quick Links" section above there is a new link
to a pdf file with summaries of the content of my lectures so far (including a small amount of material not yet covered). I will periodically
update this file with more material.
- (9/26/11) The textbook has been updated by the authors with changes
to Appendix A. If you have previously saved the file, please
|Mathematical Sciences Building 2218 |
|tel: 530-554-1498 |
|For more information go to my home page |
||MWF 11:00-11:50 at Wellman 216
| • Section A01: T 11:00-11:50 at Haring 2016
• Section A02: T 3:10-4:00 at Hutch 115
||T 9:30-10:30 at my office (MSB 2218)
||Yvonne Kemper (MSB 3125, office hours: M 12-1, F 9:30-10:30)
The course syllabus contains a detailed description of the course as well as
information on the textbook, course policies, exams and grading.