G. Thomas Sallee Prize
Formally known as the Spring Mathematics Contest, this award is open to all undergraduate students enrolled at UC Davis. This contest was started many years ago to help identify our better students in mathematics. Winners are determined after having completed an exam designed by the Department's Mathematics Contest Committee.
For whom is this award given?
This prize is given to the winner of the G. Thomas Sallee Mathematics Competition.
Who is eligible?
Any full-time undergraduate enrolled at UC Davis is eligible to take part in this competition.
What is the award amount?
As money permits, monetary prizes are awarded to students placing first, second, and third as well as to honorable mentions.
What is the selection process?
Recipients are determined on the basis of his/her results on the G. Thomas Sallee Mathematics competition, which is overseen by the Department's Undergraduate Mathematics Competition Committee. Winners are formally announced at the Department's Annual Awards Ceremony.
Past Recipients: G. Thomas Sallee Prize (formally known as the Spring Mathematics Competition)
- 1997 - Will C. Buck
- 1998 - Rich Peterson
- 1999 - Roger Yeh
- 2000 - Jeremiah Tauzer
- 2001 - Seth Dutter
- 2002 - Josephine Yu
- 2003 - Peter Huggins and Lisa Wheelwright
- 2004 - Chung Kwan Pong
- 2005 - Chung Kwan Pong
- 2006 - Andrey Goder
- 2007 - Andrey Goder
- 2008 - George Barnett, Andy Huang, and Adam Sorkin
- 2009 - Jianqiu Wu
- 2010 - Maria Timofeyeva
- 2011 - Chieh "Rocky" Pan, Leila Kadir, and Sachin Salgaonkar
- 2012 - Jianyang Zhao, Honorable Mention: Mincheng Zhou and Ruian Chen
- 2013 - Kyumin Kim
- 2014 - Ruian Chen, Honorable Mention: Trevor Glynn
- 2015 - Trevor Glynn, Gweneth McKinley
- 2016 - Jiannan Jiang, Honorable Mention: Junyu Ge and Yupeng Li
- 2017 - Jiannan Jiang