MAT 261, Spring 2023
Instructor: Eugene Gorsky, egorskiy AT math.ucdavis.edu.
Office hours: 2-3pm on Fridays at MSB 2113.
If you have a question and cannot come at office hours, write me an email to schedule an appointment.
The textbook for the course is "Lie Groups, Lie Algebras, and Representations" by Brian C. Hall.
The grade will be 100% based on the homeworks, the lowest homework score is dropped.
There will be no midterms or final exam.
1. Lie groups, examples. Topological properties. Homomorphisms. (Hall, section 1) HW 1, HW 2
2. Exponential map, one-parameter subgroups. Closed subgroup theorem (w/o proof). (Hall, section 2) HW 3
3. Lie algebras: definition, basic properties, homomorphisms. Simple, solvable and nilpotent Lie algebras. Lie algebras for matrix Lie groups.
(Hall, section 3). HW 4
4. Representation theory of sl(2,C) (Hall, section 4.6) HW 5, HW 6
5. Semisimple Lie algebras. Roots, Cartan subalgebras, Weyl group. Killing form (Hall, section 7).
6.Representations of semisimple Lie algebras: weights, Verma modules, finite-dimensional representations
(Hall, section 9). HW 7
Any student with a documented disability who needs to arrange reasonable accommodations
must contact the Student Disability Center (SDC). Faculty are authorized to provide only
the accommodations requested by the SDC. If you have any questions, please contact the SDC
at (530)752-3184 or email@example.com.