University of California, Davis
emeyer [at] math [dot] ucdavis [dot] edu
I am in my second year as a PhD student at UC Davis in the math department and the applied math graduate group.
I am currently the vice president of UCD's student chapter of the Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM).
Broadly, I study mathematical biology. I have worked on a number of different projects in this category,
including: pattern formation in reaction-diffusion systems, and applications to bacterial cell division;
effects of stochastic ion channels on electrophysiological models of cardiac cells; and
the theory of wave propagation and spiral waves in excitable tissue. I am currently working to refine and develop
my area of focus, so if you would like more details, please contact me!
Teaching Assistant (recent):
- MAT 025 (F17): advanced calculus/introductory real analysis
- MAT 017C (S17): calculus for biosciences
- MAT 017A (W17): calculus for biosciences
- UC Davis AB540 and Undocumented Students Center: resources for students and education and training for peers and educators.
- Math Alliance: "... that every underrepresented or underserved American student with the talent and the ambition has the opportunity to earn a doctoral degree in a mathematical science."
- Algebra Project: "national, nonprofit organization that uses mathematics as an organizing tool to ensure quality public school education for every child in America... by using best educational research and practices, and building coalitions to create systemic changes."
- Math E-Mentoring Network: "... designed to address relevant questions that students, postdoctoral researchers and junior faculty may have regarding their own advancement in mathematics... especially those who may not have sufficient mentoring at their current institution."
- SACNAS national and at UC Davis: "... working to make sure that those most underrepresented in STEM have the support they need to attain advanced degrees, careers, and positions of leadership."
- Parable of the Polygons: an interactive playable game/exploration of a mathematical model for the effects of individual choices on community segregation.
- Hedonometer: a tool that takes data from social media on all sorts of factors that may impact people's happiness and visualizes the large-scale effects in several different fun interactive modes.
- ... more coming!