Perturbation and Asympotic Methods
Spring Quarter 2018
|Professor Bob Guy|
to Perturbation Methods, Mark H. Holmes, 2nd Ed.,
Texts in Applied Mathematics 20, Springer, 2013. (An e-book
is available from the UCD Library).
Homework and announcements will be posted here.
| MWF 10:00-10:50 in
Homework and Exams
You are encouraged to talk with your classmates about homework
problems. However, you must do your own write-up. All aspects of
your write up must be clearly presented. Homework assignments will
be posted on the webpage. Homework will be assigned approximately
We will have a midterm and a final exam.
Homework 1, Due Friday, April 13th
Homework 2, Due Friday, April 20th
Homework 3, Due Friday, April 27th
Homework 4, Due Friday, May 4th
Midterm exam will be Wednesday, May 9th!
Homework 5, Due Friday, May 18th
Homework 6, Due Friday, May 25th
Homework 7, Due Friday, June 1st
Homework 8, Due Friday, June 8th, 5:00 PM
Your grade will be based on your Exam and homework assignments.
What we will cover
- Asymptotic Expansions
- Regular Perturbations
- Singular perturbations
- Layers and Matched Asymptotic Expansions
- Method of Multiple Scales
- Asymptotics of Integrals
You may find it useful to read other books on this subject in
addition to the textbook. There are many. Some
suggestions are listed below.
- C.M. Bender and S.A. Orszag, Advanced Mathematical Methods
for Scientists and Engineers, Springer, 1999.
- J. Kevorkian and J.D. Cole, Perturbation Methods in
Applied Mathematics, Springer, 1981.
- J.C. Neu, Singular Perturbation in the Physical Sciences,
- P.A. Lagerstrom, Matched Asymptotic Expansions,
- M. van Dyke, Perturbation Methods in Fluid Mechanics,
Parabolic Press, 1975.
- J.P. Keener, Principles of Applied Mathematics,