Perturbation and Asympotic Methods
Spring Quarter 2016
|Professor Bob Guy
to Perturbation Methods, Mark H. Holmes, 2nd Ed.,
Texts in Applied Mathematics 20, Springer, 2013. (An e-book
is available from the UCD Library).
Homework and announcements will be posted here.
| MWF 12:10-1:00 in
Homework and Exams
You are encouraged to talk with your classmates about homework
problems. However, you must do your own write-up. All aspects of
your write up must be clearly presented. Homework assignments will
be posted on the webpage. Homework will be assigned approximately
every week or every other week.
We will have a midterm and a final exam.
Homework 1, Due Friday, April 8th
Homework 2, Due Friday, April 15th
Homework 3, Due Friday, April 22nd
Homework 4, Due Friday, April 28th
Midterm exam will be Friday, May 6th!
Homework 5, Due Monday, May 9th.
Homework 6, Due Friday, May 20th.
Homework 7, Due Friday, May 27th.
Homework 8, Due Friday, June 3rd.
Your grade will be based on your Exam and homework assignments.
What we will cover
- Asymptotic Expansions
- Regular Perturbations
- Singular perturbations
- Layers and Matched Asymptotic Expansions
- Method of Multiple Scales
- Asymptotics of Integrals
You may find it useful to read other books on this subject in
addition to the textbook. There are many. Some
suggestions are listed below.
- C.M. Bender and S.A. Orszag, Advanced Mathematical Methods
for Scientists and Engineers, Springer, 1999.
- J. Kevorkian and J.D. Cole, Perturbation Methods in
Applied Mathematics, Springer, 1981.
- J.C. Neu, Singular Perturbation in the Physical Sciences,
- P.A. Lagerstrom, Matched Asymptotic Expansions,
- M. van Dyke, Perturbation Methods in Fluid Mechanics,
Parabolic Press, 1975.
- J.P. Keener, Principles of Applied Mathematics,