AMS Math Reviews
Web Page: http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~tjlewis/
Office: MSB 2146
Current Courses: MAT 119A
Office Hours: M 5:00-6:00PM, R 3:00-4:00PM, F 1:30-2:30PM
The primary goal of Tim Lewis’ research is to understand how intrinsic properties of cells and the connectivity between cells give rise to activity observed in neuronal networks and cardiac tissue. In doing so, he hopes to provide insight into the functions and dysfunctions of neural and cardiac systems. He combines mathematical analysis of idealized models with numerical simulations of more biophysically realistic models. The idealized models help to uncover the basic mechanisms underlying the dynamical behavior of physiological systems, whereas the biophysical models allow for direct comparison to experimental data. Collaboration with experimentalists is an essential part of his work.
- Zhang C, Guy RD, Mulloney B, Zhang Q, and Lewis TJ. " Neural mechanism of optimal limb coordination in crustacean swimming. " Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 111 (38), 13840-13845, 2014
- Schwemmer MA and Lewis TJ. " Bistability in a leaky integrate-and-fire Neuron with a passive dendrite. " SIAM J. Appl. Dyn. Syst. 11(1): 507-530, 2012.
- Mancilla JG, Lewis TJ, Pinto DJ, Rinzel J, and Connors BW. " Synchronization of electrically coupled pairs of inhibitory interneurons in neocortex. " J. Neurosci., 27:2058–2073, 2007.
- Cruikshank SJ, Lewis TJ, and Connors BW. " Synaptic basis for intense thalamocortical activation of feedforward inhibitory cells in neocortex. " Nature Neurosci., 10: 462-468, 2007.
- Jolivet R, Lewis TJ, and Gerstner W. " Generalized integrate-and-fire models of neuronal activity approximate spike trains of a detailed model to a high degree of accuracy. " J. Neurophysiol., 92:959-976, 2004.
- Lewis TJ and Rinzel J. " Dynamics of spiking neurons connected by both inhibitory and electrical coupling. " J. Comput. Neurosci., 14:283-309, 2003.
- Lewis TJ and Keener JP. " Wave-block in excitable media due to regions of depressed excitability. " SIAM J. Appl. Math., 61: 293-316, 2000, MathSciNet1776397.
Last updated: 2019-10-01