To apply to these programs:
- Graduate Programs in Applied Mathematics (Ph.D. or M.S.)
- Graduate Programs in Mathematics (Ph.D. or M.A.)
Use the UC Davis on-line graduate application system. When you apply, you must designate to which program you are applying. If you have applied to the wrong program, you have to reapply to the correct one. Also, applying to the wrong program will prevent proper consideration by the correct committee. If you have any questions about which graduate program is right for you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
The online application requires three letters of recommendations, they MUST BE SUBMITTED electronically through the online application system. Hard copy letters ARE NOT ACCEPTED under any circumstance.
For the Fall 2021 application period, the current application fee is $120 for the domestic application and $140 for the international application. The application fee can only be paid by credit card. If you apply to multiple graduate programs, you must pay the application fee for each application submitted.
For full consideration for Fall 2021 admission, the deadline to submit the online application for each of our graduate programs is JANUARY 5, 2021.
Although it is not recommended, we do consider late applications, but only if submitted before June 1, 2021. The online system will no longer accept applications after this date.
In addition to completing the online application, you must submit the following support materials. All support materials listed below should be received by JANUARY 5, 2021:
- Official GRE General and GRE Subject Scores : For those applying for Fall 2021 only: Due to COVID19, the GRE exams will not be a requirement for applying to Mathematics and Applied Mathematics in the 2020-21 cycle of admissions. The Mathematics and Applied Applied Mathematics typically require both the General GRE and Subject GRE.
- TOEFL or IELTS Scores: International students are required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score. Photocopies or unofficial scores will not be accepted. Do note that the minimum TOEFL score required for admission to graduate study at UC Davis is a score 550 for the paper test and a score of 80 on the Internet-based test. For the IELTS, your most recent overall BAND score must be at least 7 on a 9-point scale. TOEFL and IELTS scores that are older than two years will not be accepted. When arranging to have your scores sent electronically, be sure that you include the correct institution and department codes. The institution code for UC Davis is 4834. The program code for Mathematics is 72. The program code for Applied Mathematics is 54. For more information about sending your scores electronically, go to the ETS homepage. PLEASE NOTE: Our programs are only able to provide financial support in the form of teaching assistantships for students who have a TOEFL speaking score of at least 26. Students with a lower score are strongly encouraged to take an English language course focused on speaking, and to retake the TOEFL exam.
- Transcripts: UC Davis requires academic records from each college-level institution you have attended. You will be instructed to upload copies of your transcripts during your application process.after you have submitted your online application. For more details visit the grad studies Transcript Page
January 5, 2021: Fall 2021 UC Davis Fellowship application (contained within the UC Davis Graduate Application).
January 5, 2021: Applied Mathematics (Graduate Group in Applied Mathematics, MS and PhD) - Fall 2021 UC Davis Graduate Application and other material, as indicated above. Although it is definitely not recommended, we do consider late applications, but only if submitted before June 1, 2021. The online system will no longer accept applications after this date.
January 5, 2021: Mathematics (MA and PhD) - Fall 2021 UC Davis Graduate Application and other material, as indicated above. Although it is definitely not recommended, we do consider late applications, but only if submitted before June 1, 2021. The online system will no longer accept applications after this date.
Note: It is NOT necessary to submit a separate Teaching Assistant (TA) application. The information provided in your graduate admissions application is entirely sufficient. All of our applicants are automatically considered for all sources of departmental funding, including fellowships and TAships. If you wish to be considered for campus-based fellowships, however, you must submit a Fellowship application by January 5, 2021.
DiversityThe University of California Davis, a public institution, is committed to supporting the diversity of the graduate student body and promoting equal opportunity in higher education. This commitment furthers the educational mission to serve the increasingly diverse population and educational needs of California and the nation. Joining the Vice Provost of Graduate Education/Dean of Graduate Studies and the University of California, both the Department of Mathematics Vice Chair for Graduate Matters and the Chair of the Graduate Group in Applied Mathematics affirm that diversity is critical to promoting lively intellectual exchange and the variety of ideas and perspectives essential to advancing higher education and research. Our graduate students contribute to the global pool of future scholars and academic leaders, thus high value is placed on achieving a diverse graduate student body to support the University of California’s academic excellence. We invite you to include in your Personal History and Diversity Statement how you may contribute to the diversification of graduate education and the UC Davis community.
For Additional Help
If you experience any trouble with the online application or would like to receive more information about our graduate programs in mathematics, feel free to contact our Graduate Coordinator at email@example.com.