Jesus A. De Loera
Web Page: http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~deloera/
Office: MSB 3228
AMS Math Reviews
Professor Jesus A. De Loera works in discrete mathematics, optimization, and data science. He is particularly interested in applications of discrete computational geometry, in topics such as algorithms, optimization, data science, statistics, and operation research. But he has also studied the combinatorial and topological structures arising from combinatorial and algebraic questions too.
Important objects in De Loera's research are convex polytopes. In two and three dimensions (polygons and polyhedra) were extensively studied by the ancient Greeks. In this century convex polytopes have appeared in many areas of mathematics. They appear in algebraic geometry in connection with toric varieties, in representation theory in connection to important invariants; and they are also central to linear programming, probability, game theory, and other applied fields too arXiv:math.CO/0303.5228.
- "A Polytopal Generalization of Sperner's lemma," (with E. Peterson and F. Su), Journal of Combinatorial Theory (A), 100: 1—26, 2002.
- "The complexity of finding small triangulations of convex 3-polytopes," (with Alexander Below and Jürgen Richter-Gebert), to appear in Journal of Algorithms, 50(2): 134—167, 2004, arXiv:math.CO/0012177.
- "Counting integer flows in networks," (with W. Baldoni-Silva and M. Vergne), Foundations of Computational Mathematics}, 4, 277—314, 2004, arXiv:math.CO/0303.5228.
- "Integer polynomial optimization in fixed dimension," (with R. Hemmecke, M. Koeppe, and R. Weismantel), Mathematics of Operations Research, 31(1): 147—153, 2006, arXiv:math.CO/0410.5111.
- "All linear and integer programming problems are slim 3-way transportation programs," (with S. Onn), SIAM J. of Optimization, 17(3): 806—821, 2006, MathSciNet2257210.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of the American Mathematical Society (AMS)
- Fellow of the Society of Applied and Industrial Mathematics (SIAM)
- 2020 Farkas Prize INFORMS optimization society
- co-winner 2010 INFORMS computer society prize
- UC Davis Chancellor fellow 2003-2008
- Alexander von Humboldt fellow 2004-2005
- Distinguished teaching award, College of Letters and Science UC Davis 2018
- Mathematical Association of American Golden Section Teaching Award 2017
- UC Davis Graduate Student Association Award for Excellence in Service 2007
Last updated: 2021-07-29